Thursday, March 01, 2007

Independence at 23

Sometimes, i think it is a good thing when parents leave their own children to struggle on their own. That way, they learn things the hard way. They learn how to keep their heads above the water.

For me, it didn't come easy either. I wish i had the kind parents of who would give me allowance even when i was in university, or even let me bum ard and sleep all day throughtout my entire summer break

I envied ppl who could stay at home for 3 fucking months playing PS2 during their summer break, or even go clubbing every damn night.

I envied those stupid NS guys who get allowance from their parents despite saying that their pay is like "sai". $400 is not sai okay! Or those ppl who get to go overseas, spend, eat, enjoy, have fun, tour from state to state, fly back to singapore 2-3times a year, without having to worry a single thing about money.


Most of all, i wish my parents were richer enough to see me through university. (And i'm not even talking about going abroad, which i think i deserve to; only that they didn't have the money)

But all of that didn't happen.

I could sense reluctance each time i asked for pocket money. And ideally, as a child, you don't actually have to ask for money. Your parents would give you on a monthly basis, just to make sure you have enough to eat blah blah. Not for me.

I had to work for my own money, while studying at the same time. I couldn't afford a laptop, i couldn't afford to stay in hall, and i definitely couldn't afford to spend as much as what i am spending now. I had to give tuition, for $150, just enough to cover my expenses for the entire month. And if i'm disciplined enough, i even managed to save abit.
$150 a month? And you thought i was kidding. I kid you not. I'm glad i've managed to instill some sorta financial discipline in myself; that being the envy of many.

That being said, what i'm pretty mad is how my brothers are taking so much money from my parents. In secondary school, all i had was $4 (inclusive of recess and lunch), and my youngest brother is currently taking $6. To be honest, in secondary school, a bowl of noodles won't even cost you more than $2. I didn't see why he had to take so much. And the other brother was taking $10 a day. Seriously, WTF.

Now that i've started working, and given some thoughts about my career, I've decided i don't want to be a wage slave no more. I want to earn the money that commiserates with my hardwork. I want to be proud of myself. I don't want to earn a sum of money just enough to get by with life. I want it to be a luxurious life.

I can foresee myself slogging like mad, and at the end of the day, i can feel that i've achieved something, and am proud of myself.
At this point of time, my career comes first. Everything else is secondary.
You defintely would think likewise if you were in my shoes.

p/s: I still want my Mazda when i reach 25.

pps: and the bottomline is, i blooody need that bank job!

ppss (totally irrelevant): but sometimes i wish i didn't take ppl like bud for granted

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home