Monday, August 21, 2006

My First (and hopefully last) Post Mortem Experience

As you all know, i work in a histopathology lab.
Everyday, i see and handle specimens. From the smallest 0.1cm polyp to an entire colon.
So you see, my superior suggested we all go observe post mortem for a day. Afterall, she said we might be needed during post mortem, if ever there's some sorta epidemic going on in Sg, and plus, it is kinda related indirectly to our job scope.
Post mortem. Cool, very CSI you say. Well, not till you've gone for one.


I arrived at HSA promptly at 745am. I didn't know they start post mortem only at 930am, because of the coroner's procedures, identification of the bodies and paper work etc. So i waited in the office, spending my 1 hr plus watching the CCTV. In the room were 9 bodies lying side by side on those metal trolleys. The mortuary attendants were checking their identification, photographs were taken. Then, next of kin proceeded to the gallery to identify the body. My heart sank, when i saw devastation in them. Follwing which, the doctors and police inspectors would assist the coroner in deciding whether or not a post mortem has to be done on the victim.

Finally, when all the paper work had been settled, i was brought to the changing room to change into scrubs. I had to put on another disposable gown over my scrubs, i had to wear one of those surgical caps and of course, boots to protect my feet.

I walked into the autopsy room. In front of me were 4 bodies. Each body was laid beside an individual sink.Some stark naked, while others had clothes on. The first i saw was extremely disturbing. And i do not wish to talk about it further. The pathologists would look for superficial abrasions and lesions, measure them, chart them down. Some of the bodies were bloated, in rigor mortis. Some became extremely white, while others, looked normal. The smell was repulsive even though i had a mask on. I'm glad i didn't have to see anything badly decomposed. Generally, what the attendants do is they cut open the body longitudinally with a scapel from the chest right down to the abdomen. One good clean cut is all you need. The rib cage were sorta 'cracked' using a spanner-like tool, and then removed. Lungs, kidneys, liver, heart, everything were being taken out. You see, i'm not scared of the organs at all. It's the process of seeing how they cut up the body which scares me. My supervisor told me, not to look at their face, and take it as though everyone there is sleeping. That's not the worst. Lo and behold, an attendant took out a rotary saw took and began cutting the skull. One sharp cut is all it needs, to leave a clean and neat cut. This was disturbing. The scalp was drooping over the deceased face as he cut the skull. The body was cut with great expertise such that it didn't look messy. Not as bloody as you think it might be.

That 20 mins was good enough to leave a lasting impression. Somehow that whole cutting up scene kept replaying in my head for the past 2 hours. I've lost my appetite. I couldn't bear to stay any longer to observe till the end, where they eventually stitch the body back.

I don't really know how to describe. Heart-wrenching? Yes, for the casualty in the car accident. But at the same time, it makes me cringe to see dead bodies being cut opened.
I know death is part of life. Therefore, i think all doctors especially forensic pathologists and motuary attendants deserve some recognition. Without them, who's gonna do the dirty job?

I'm blogging about this the moment i got home, thats because after this, i'm not gonna think about it anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home