Do we always end up doing what we never intended to do?
This is one of life's greatest mystery I could bet my last penny on, that neither Albert Einstein nor Descartes are able to solve.
Maybe its human's nature, or perhaps it's one of God's experiments. Most of us walk through an arduous path, in hope of reaching our destination, but instead of reaching our intended destination, we make a detour, and we end up somewhere we never intended to go from the start. Some made a detour before they realised they want to go somewhere , while others simply took another path, in which they know won't bring them to their where they were supposed to go.
You see, one of the interesting things about life is that, it can't be lucidly explained using science, math, philosophy, sociology or even psychology. This makes me wonder what is life per se?
Take myself for example. I've gone through over ten years of education. Studying science, math, art blah blah. Then in Secondary 2, my ambition was to be a botanist (everyone laughed) I read up on plants anatomy, adaptations, etc etc. I studied science in JC. When i was in JC, i didn't think botany would be a feasable subject in Sg. I was clueless, but i studied Biology nonetheless. As time goes by, biology- related field was what i wanted to do. So i pursued a degree in Life Science. I did cell biology, molecular biotechnology, pharmacology. I thought all that had good prospects, especially with the booming R&D industry in Sg. Clearly by Yr 2, i couldn't forsee myself working in a lab nor doing research. Every lab session was a sheer torture. 6 excruciating hours each time, coupled with lab reports. Many times, i asked myself, why did i even choose something like this? From then, i knew i was never going into research. I didn't even apply for the university research programme, which many of my peers did. I was sick of being in the lab.
As i went through my final semester in Uni, i was toying with the idea of a) get an office job b) read up on investments, and see where i could go from here c) make full use of my degree, and try working in the lab (even though i hate it) I chose option C
I didn't want to waste my degree, together with the 15k i spent on that stupid piece of paper aka Bachelor of Sci. I took up a job in the lab. It isn't a research lab, but more like a diagnostic lab. For once i didn't have to do lab report, or use sophisticated automation to map genes. I am glad. But still, i've been thinking alot to myself, -just how long can i ever stay in this lab? Because, from the start, i never wanted to work in the lab, and now, it feels like i'm not doing justice to myself. Why am i doing all these for? So the money spent on my education wouldn't go down the drain, or i just want to make things look prim and proper,like a matching set of bedsheet and quilt cover. Imagine the horrifying expression of ppl's face when you tell them you studied life science, and now you're a eg, photojournalist.
But at least i know i've made an attempt to reach my 'intended' destination. For now, i don't want to think too much about the future. No one knows what the future holds. I could still be working in the lab 10 yrs later, or maybe be an entrepreneur. Haha. Ever since i've graduated, i've never closed my doors to any business opportunities. Reading up on money-making/thinking of business ideas is just one of my favourite past times. Most won't understand about my eagerness to make big money, for they've never felt the pinch of paying for their own tertiary education.
With that, i leave you with a candid confession - i really should've gone to SMU (even though biz was what i never intended to do from the start)

1 Comments:
ahhaha yes botanist! ahah i sure laughed, and cher and belle wanted to be marine biologists and err i wanted to be a stewardess.
Post a Comment
<< Home